Knowledge Center: Publication
Chief Executive Officer & Board of Directors
2016 Board Monitor: Mapping Incoming Boardroom TalentSubscribe to Chief Executive Officer & Board of Directors 5/4/2016 Heidrick & Struggles
2016 Heidrick & Struggles Board Monitor
Fortune 500 companies filled nearly 400 vacant or newly created board seats with independent directors last year—the largest number of such appointments since the inception of the Board Monitor seven years ago.
In addition to the upsurge in appointments, our study found:
- The total number of board seats shrank 6.0% from 2014 to 2015.
- The board-turnover rate increased to 8.5% in 2015, from 6.8% in 2014.
- Current and former CEOs and CFOs together represented the highest share of new board appointments—73.2%—since we began tracking the number in 2009.
- The percentage of new directors with international experience jumped to 66.7% in 2015, up from only 34.5% the previous year.
- Each appointee had substantial experience in 1.5 industries, on average, down from 2.2 in 2014.
- The share of new board appointments for Hispanics remained flat for the seventh consecutive year; the notable progress for women in recent years stalled; African-Americans edged up slightly, and the share for Asians and Asian-Americans fell slightly.
Learn more about the most recent trends in Fortune 500 board composition, diversity, experience, and turnover by clicking the download link above for the full report.